On March 21, 2018, we hosted our 3rd Annual Employer Forum where employers from across this region heard the stories of 5 immigrants; their journeys to Central Alberta and the challenges and successes they came across. These stories need to be heard by residents and employers to foster a better understanding and appreciation for the newcomers who have decided to make Red Deer their home.
The event also featured a content filled Panel Discussion on the topic of Building and Strengthening a High Performance Workplace. With three leaders from champion organizations representing Vantage Community Services, The City of Red Deer and Peavey Industries LP, it was a lively discussion with some great take always and shared best practices for participants.
The event also featured 3 great Breakout Sessions, facilitated by diversity leaders from across Alberta, on the topics of Immigration 101, Central Alberta 2018; Creating a Diverse and Inclusive Workplace in Central Alberta and Organization as an Ecosystem, Attracting & Retaining an Immigrant Workforce. We ended the morning with Tina Varughese, an internationally known Keynote Speaker, sharing her humour, wisdom and experiences related to Communicating with a Cross-Cultural Advantage.
It was a great way to wrap Alberta Global Talent’s 4th year of operation and a clear signal that this program is a much needed and valued presence in Central Alberta.
We are thankful for the following individuals who shared their immigrant stories, participated in the panel discussion, facilitated the breakout sessions and presented the keynote address:
- Joe Whitbread, CEO, Jo(e) Social Media Inc.
- Tina Varughese, President, tWorks, Calgary,
- Daljit Brar
- Mana Ajila
- Adriana Gutierezz
- Humberto Aspillaga
- Alex Horbushko
- Reg Warkentin, Policy & Advocacy Manager, Red Deer & District Chamber of Commerce
- Kristy Svoboda, Director of Human Resources, City of Red Deer
- KJesse Cheetham, CPHR, Director of Employee Services, Peavey Industries, LP, Red Deer
- KRobecca Chahine, CEO, Vantage Community Services, Red Deer
BREAKOUT SESSION FACILITATORS
- Valentine Skeels, member of Red Deer Local Immigration Partnership
- Karen M. Howley, Barrister & Solicitor, Chapman Riebeek, LLP, Red Deer
- Mario G. Patenaude, Vice President, People Performance Advisory, Collins Barrow, Red Deer, LLP
- Zakeana Reid, Senior Director, Special Projects, Canadian Centre for Diversity & Inclusion, Calgary AB
A HUGE AND SPECIAL THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS:
Kerstin Heuer, Owner, Heuer Design
Dennis Allen, President, Juiced Audio and Lighting Inc.